Seagate Troubleshooting Backup Plus Slim 500GB Portable External Drive
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus Slim 500GB
- Windows 7 or Vista requests drivers
- Seagate Backup Plus 500GB external hard drive not detected
- connect your Backup Plus 500GB to a USB port.
- How to use Seagate Backup Plus 500GB External Drive
- How to find out the backup files on your seagate Backupplus 500GB Hard Drive
- The drive is busy or in use.
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking
- Backup Plus Slim Portable drives are usually accessible as a drive letter within your computer’s My Computer or Windows/ File Explorer (i.e. in the name of Drive E:, F: or some other letter) within few seconds (approximately 30 seconds) of connecting it and turning it on.
- The AutoPlay window will appear within the 30 seconds very often. The system tray will display a small notification or pop-up message that the external Backup Plus Slim hard drive is ready to use.
- The system tray will also display the safely remove icon that the users can safely remove the external drives connected if any when there is no need of drive.
- To open the drive letter, click on Open Folder to View Files or the drive letter in My Computer or Windows/File Explorer.This will enable you to drag-and-drop data or copy-and-paste data, into the external hard drive for the initial users.
- If you are able to perform the above function, then your drive is functioning normally.
- Select the option below that best explains your drive situation.The external hard drive was functioning properly earlier but is no longer detected now.
Troubleshooting Backup Plus Slim 500GB Portable External Drive for the above issue
- Check the Cabling
- Remove Potential Conflicts
- Enable the drive online
- Check the drive letter
Troubleshooting Backup Plus Slim 500GB Portable External Drive for the above issue
Check the Cabling:
If your Backup Plus Slim 500GB external hard drive is connected to a PC Express or PCMCIA card through a USB port, then do the below steps.
- Ensure that the computer has a USB port and connect the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 500GB hard drive to your computer itself, for the purpose of Troubleshooting Backup Plus Slim 500GB Portable External Drive
- Confirm if you have left out any updates for the card driver. If you find an update, install it and then reconnect the external hard drive for the test detection.
- Check if the USB port is located on the rear of your Portable computer.
- Safely connect your external hard drive cable to a port that does not connect the USB keyboard or USB Mouse of your Portable.
- Try connecting your external hard drive with another USB cable that works properly. It is recommended to use another external hard drive.
- Unplug if there are any external peripherals such as USB Slims, extension cables, etc. that enable your external hard drive to be connected directly to the computer.
- If the issue still persists, follow the below procedure.
Remove Potential Conflicts:
If the USB cable and the external hard drive are connected to the same computer, there are chances of the USB cable interrupting
- Let the seagate Backup Plus Slim 500GB Portable drive receive the power directly from the wall outlet, excepting any extension cord, surge protector, or UPS.
- Try to connect the drive using a different power cable if possible.
- Except for the keyboard and mouse, remove all USB devices from your computer.
- Unplug the Backup Plus Slim external hard drive too from your computer.
- Shut down and power off the computer. Then power it again.
- Once the computer is booted and running up, on the rear of the computer connect your Portable Backup Plus Slim 500GB to the USB port.
- If the drive is detected, then the conflict between the USB devices is the reason for the issue.
- We recommend you to connect the USB devices one-by-one and find out which of the devices is faulty.
Enable the drive online:
If more than two external hard drives are connected, only one will appear on the My Computer or Windows / File Explorer.To fix the above issue follow the steps below:
- For Windows 8: Press Windows Key + X together and choose Computer Management.For Windows 7/Vista/XP: Right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
- Click Disk Management.
- When you locate your seagate Portable 500GB external drives on the lower side of the window, Disk0, Disk1 and Disk2 appears. Disk0 is the computer’s boot drive, Disk1 and 2 may be the external hard drives.
- Disk1 may appear online and Disk2 may be displayed Offline or cannot be found.
- Right-click on the box containing the Disk number such as Disk 1. Now select Online so that both the drives appear in My Computer and Windows/File explorer.
- If the issue does not resolve with the above solution, follow the instructions below.
Check the drive letter:
Generally, the Backup Plus Slim Portable drives have an inbuilt factory pre-formatted with an NTFS (New Technology File System) MBR (Master Boot Record) partition.
- On your Windows explorer, confirm if the drive letter is present on the upper window.
- Also, verify if the drive is detected in the lower window of the explorer.
- If the drive letter is detected, ensure that it is not assigned already to any other device. If you find it so, rename the letter of the Backup Plus Slim Portable drive with any unused letter.
- If the drive is displayed on the lower window as Disk1, Disk 2, etc. then the drive’s partition is corrupted.
- The major reasons for the corruption could be the below factors.The status does not show Healthy next to the disk1, disk2 which are located on the right side.If the colored stripe is black.
- If the drive is an Unallocated type or not supported by Windows
- A formatted label name as RAW.
To resolve the above issue, check the Device Manager with the below procedure.
Diagnose your Backup Plus Slim 500GB external Portable hard drive’s status in Device Manager by connecting the drive through USB (2.0).
- Press Windows Key +X on your Windows 8.Go to My Computer and right-click on it to choose Manage for Windows 7.
- On Windows 8, search for Device Manager and select it.On Windows7/Vista/XP, go to Computer Management, select Device Manager which is on the left side of the window below the Tools option.
- Next to the Disk Drives, a plus symbol appears. Click on it to view the options provided under the Disk Drive. If the disk drive is detected by the system it will display all the information on it.
- Double-click on the external hard drive which is visible now.
- If it is not visible, check under Other Devices which is a category below the Device Manager.
- View an Unknown Device that appears below the Other Devices and double-click on it.
While performing the above step, if the computer displays an error code 10 please follow the instructions below to troubleshoot it.
- Shut down and power off your computer.
- Remove the Backup Plus Slim 500GB Portable external hard drive from your computer.
- Power on and turn on your computer and wait till the Windows is fully loaded and in the ready to use state.
- Reconnect your external hard drive and see if the error still persists.
- If the drive is not detected still, try to connect the external drive to another computer.
- If the drive is detected properly when it is connected to another computer, then the issue is your original computer to which the external hard drive was connected earlier.
- Hence we recommend you troubleshoot your computer and then try reconnecting the Backup Plus Slim Portable external hard drive.
- If none of the above solutions work for resolving the external hard drive detection issue, it is advisable to reformat your drive.
If the computer displays an error code 28 please follow the instructions below to troubleshoot it.
If code 28 error displays, the first message on your computer says, The drivers for this device are not installed. The drivers do not come from Seagate and it comes through Windows. Hence Troubleshooting Backup Plus Slim 500GB Portable External Drive is required for this issue.
- Try connecting the drive to another computer and check if it is functioning properly.
- If it works on another computer, then it is mandatory to upgrade your computer to the latest Windows Service Pack.
- Find the external hard drive inside the Device Manager.
- Right-click on Device Manager and select Uninstall.
- Hold till the uninstallation completes and then remove the external hard drive’s cable from the computer.
- Restart your computer and wait for Windows is up completely.
- Re-plug your external hard drive and confirm if the error still persists.
- If the issue continues and the above steps do not work, contact our customer support team for further technical assistance.
- Our toll-free number is available on our website www.seagate.com/support and we recommend you to search your issue and refer our Troubleshooting Backup Plus Slim 500GB Portable External Drive documents to resolve it.
If the error code is detected on the new computer you were using as an alternate, it states that there is an issue with the Windows installation
The below steps will provide you the random solutions for the above issue.
- Reloading your USB controller drivers is one of the Troubleshooting Backup Plus Slim 500GB Portable External Drive options.
- Insert the Windows 7 or Vista install CD and restarting the computer will help you to launch the Windows Repair.
- When you are opting for a Windows Repair & Recovery, disconnect all external storage devices such as external USB, FireWire, eSATA drives, cameras, and printers.
- If the issue persists still, then the issue is with your seagate Backup Plus Slim 500GB Portable external hard drive and you can contact the external hard drive manufacturer for its replacement if it is under warranty.