- Seagate Support »
- Partition The Hard Drive
Guidance For Seagate Hard Drive Partition Mac
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Backup Plus 3TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Backup Plus 3TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- How to find out the backup files on Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive?
- Eject Backup Plus 3TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Backup Plus 3TB
If you have recently purchased a new Seagate external hard drive and wish to use it on your Mac computer, the instructions on this page will help you do it. Your macOS will not let you write data to the external hard drive because it has been initialized with Windows NTFS (Windows NT File System). This file system has been specially developed for PCs. A Mac computer supports an entirely different type of file system. Carry out these below-mentioned steps to use Seagate hard drive partition Mac computer.
Therefore, the first task is to format the external hard drive for a Mac-compatible file system, and that will be Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The following instructions are for a macOS Sierra 10.12.5:
- The first step is to open Disk Utility on your Mac. To do this, you have to click the Search icon at the upper-right corner. Then, you have to go to Applications and then select Utilities. In the Utilities folder, choose the Disk Utility option.
- When you are inside Disk Utility, please confirm that your external hard drive is connected. It will be displayed on the left panel, under the title, External.
- Now, choose the hard drive and then click on the Erase button. You will see this button at the top of your Disk Utility folder.
- Important Note: In case your hard drive does not appear on the left panel, it might be hidden. So, click the icon (that has a drop-down option) at the top-left corner and then choose the Show All Devices option.
- You will now see that a new window pops up on your screen. In this window, you will find a message that asks you which file system you want to format the hard drive too.
- By default, it will be the NTFS. So, to change it, you have to choose the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) option.
- In case you wish to use your external hard drive for both Mac and Windows, you can select the ExFAT option.
- Now, you also have the facility to rename your external hard drive.
- When you have finished renaming the hard drive, click on the Erase button.
- Next, please wait patiently for the erasing process to get completed. You will now see the Erase process is complete, click Done to continue message on your screen. Therefore, click on the Done button.
- Follow these steps to use Seagate hard drive partition Mac computer.
To check if the format was successful, please follow the simple steps given here:
- On your Mac desktop, right-click the icon for the Seagate external hard drive.
- Then, select the Get Info option.
- On the pop-up that displays next, for the Format field, you will see Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Now, you can be sure that the format was successful. You can now edit, read, and write files to the drive as you wish.
Now, let us see how to partition your Seagate external hard drive on your Mac computer:
- On your Mac, within Disk Utility, highlight the hard drive and click on the Partition button. You will find this button at the top, in between the First Aid and Erase buttons.
- Important Note: Please ensure that you choose the drive icon right under the External heading.
- After you click on the Partition button, a new window will appear. On the left of this window, you can see a big blue circle along with the name of your hard drive and its volume size.
- Now, click the Add (+) button that is below the circle to increase the number of partitions on your Seagate hard drive.
- It is now time to allocate the desired volume to each of your partitions. You can perform this task by clicking the tiny white circle (found at the top of the big blue circle) and dragging it around.
- Next, you can rename each of the partitions and define a file system for the same.
- Click on the Apply button. Now, a new window will appear, and it will ask for your confirmation. Please take some time to read the text description in this window.
- When you are done, click on the Partition button.
Now, you can check whether the Partitioning process was successful. To do that, please follow the few steps given here:
- Go to your Mac desktop.
- You will find some icons for the partitions that you created just now.
- In case you have created only two partitions, you can see two icons on the Mac desktop.
- Now, you can be sure that the hard drive partition was successful.
We have now discussed to use Seagate hard drive partition Mac computer. Click the call button available on the screen.