- Seagate Support »
- Seagate External Hard Drive
How To Fix Seagate External Hard Drive Not Showing Up?
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Backup Plus 3TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Backup Plus 3TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- How to find out the backup files on Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive?
- Eject Backup Plus 3TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Backup Plus 3TB
Seagate is one of the best hard drive manufacturers in the market and these drivers are well suited for Mac and Windows computers. If you won a Seagate hard driver, you might have come across an issue where the drive doesn’t show up on Windows or Mac computer.
There are many reasons that could lead to the Seagate Hard Drive Not Showing Up.
- Operating System update can cause incompatibility.
- The Seagate hard drive might be password protected.
- There might be issues with the USB slot on computer or a fault with the USB cable connecting the devices.
- Power issues on computer.
- Virus infection on hard drive.
BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:
In case Seagate hard drive is not showing up and you do not know the exact reason for this to happen, follow these simple troubleshooting steps on Windows or Mac computer.
- Remove the hard drive from the computer and re-insert it into the USB slot slowly to see if the hard drive light shows up.
- Try plugging the drive into a different USB slot to see if it works.
- If the hard drive’s USB cable appears to be damaged, replace it with a new cable.
- Connect the hard drive to another computer to rule out the problem with the drive.
- Check for any vibrating or beeping sound from the drive.
- Again, if the Seagate hard drive is not showing up, you can perform either of the methods given here to resolve the problem.
FIXING THE HARD DRIVE ISSUE ON MAC
METHOD 1: ENABLE HARD DRIVE IN FINDER PREFERENCES AND DESKTOP
- Click on the Finder icon in the Dock on Mac computer.
- Click the Finder option and then select Preferences option.
- In the Finder Preferences window, select Sidebar.
- Under the Show these items on the sidebar section, click the checkbox for External disks option.
- Click General tab.
- Right below Show these items on the desktop portion, click the for the option External disks.
METHOD 2: REPAIR HARD DRIVE WITH FIRST AID
- Click Launchpad(Rocket) icon in the Dock.
- Click Other and then click the Disk Utility option.
- On the left pane, select the unmounted Seagate hard drive.
- Select First Aid option from the top.
- Click Run button to repair the Seagate hard drive.
FIXING THE HARD DRIVE ISSUE ON WINDOWS
If you are facing issues with hard drive that is not showing up on WINDOWS, here are the troubleshooting methods.
METHOD 1: ENABLE USB DEVICE IN BIOS
- Restart the computer.
- When the startup screen opens, press the key (displayed on the screen) to open the BIOS settings utility.
- Use the navigation arrow keys on the keypad to choose the options in BIOS.
- Select the Boot tab and select the Removable devices option.
- Once the booting is complete, save the changes.
- Restart the computer normally.
- Now, see if the Seagate External hard drives is showing up on computer.
METHOD 2: UPDATE USB CONTROLLER
- To update the USB controller, open the Run command.
- Use the shortcut keys Windows + R to open the Run command.
- Type devmgmt.msc in the Run field and press the Enter button.
- In the Device Manager, navigate to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section and click the arrow key on the left.
- Check to see if any of the USB controllers with a yellow sign icon right next to its name.
- When you find the USB controller with that error icon, right-click it and select the Update Driver Software option.
- You will see the message how do you want to search for driver software? on the screen.
- Click the Search Automatically option from the pop-up window.
- The USB controller will be updated.
- Updating the USB controller will definitely resolve the Seagate External Hard Drive Not Showing Up problem.