- Seagate Support »
- Seagate hard drive not detected
Issue: Seagate External Hard Drive Not Detected
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Backup Plus 3TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Backup Plus 3TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- How to find out the backup files on Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive?
- Eject Backup Plus 3TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Backup Plus 3TB
The Seagate external hard drive not detected when connected to your computer for various reasons. Here are the troubleshooting steps to resolve this problem.
- Check if the Power LED on your Seagate drive is turned on. If not, connect the drive’s power adapter to the power source.
- Connect the drive to a different USB port on your computer.
- If necessary, use a new cable
- On the keyboard, press the Win and R keys simultaneously.
- Enter compmgmt.msc in the Run command box.
- Select the Device Manager option.
- Navigate to the Disk Drives section and check if you see your Seagate drive.
- If so, continue with the following steps to resolve the Seagate external hard drive not detected problem.
- Note: If the drive is not detected under the Disk Drives section, check if you see any unknown device and right-click it. Click Properties -> General -> Device Status. When you see any error code, resolve it.
- Right-click your drive and click the Properties option.
- Navigate to the Volumes tab and click the Populate option.
- Click the Disk Management tab in the left panel.
- If you see either the RAW or Unallocated message on the screen, use any data recovery software to recover data from the Seagate drive.
- Format the drive. It will erase all the data stored on the drive.
- Once done, you will see the details such as NTFS, Capacity, Drive letter on the screen.
- To assign a new drive letter, click the Add button. Assign a letter and then click the OK button.
- Still, if the Seagate external hard drive not detected on your Windows computer, contact our technical experts.
- If your Seagate drive is not shown on your desktop or in the Finder window, perform the steps given below.
- Launch Finder and select the Applications option.
- Click the Utilities option followed by the Disk Utility option.
- If the drive is not in the Disk Utility window, go to the System Information/System Profiler section.
- If you are using a macOS 10.13 computer, click View and choose the Show All Devices option.
- Choose the indented entry for the Seagate drive and click the Mount button.
If necessary, format the drive and check if the Seagate external hard drive not detected on your Mac computer.