- Seagate Support »
- Seagate Expansion Portable 1TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive Setup
Seagate Expansion Portable 500GB USB 3.0 Hard Drive Setup
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Backup Plus 3TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Backup Plus 3TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- How to find out the backup files on Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive?
- Eject Backup Plus 3TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Backup Plus 3TB
- Start by connecting the Seagate External hard drive to your Windows computer using the supplied USB cable.
- Make sure to plug the cable firmly into the ports on your hard drive and computer.
- Open File Explorer and check if the drive appears.
- As the Seagate drive is pre-formatted for Windows, you need not format the drive. So, you can drag and drop your files to the drive.
- If necessary, you can change the drive letter.
- You should format the Seagate Expansion portable (500 GB, USB 3.0) hard drive to set it up with Time Machine for automatic backup.
- To begin with, connect your hard drive to the Mac computer using the supplied USB cable.
- On your Mac, click Finder at the Dock and select the Applications tab from the left-side panel.
- Click on Utilities and then double-click Disk Utility.
- In the Disk Utility window, navigate to the left-side panel and choose your Seagate hard drive.
- If you cannot see your drive, click on View and select the Show All Devices option.
- After selecting your hard drive, click the Erase button at the top. Doing so will remove all the data on your hard drive.
- Give a name for your Seagate drive and choose the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) option from the Format drop-down menu.
- If you wish to use the drive on both macOS and Windows systems, select ExFAT from the Format drop-down menu.
- Next, select GUID Partition Map from the Scheme drop-down menu and click the Erase button.
- Once your drive is formatted, click Done.
- Close Disk Utility and use the drive to back up your data.
- You have now seen the Seagate Expansion portable ( 500 GB, USB 3.0) hard drive setup.
Formatting The Drive
- On your Windows computer, right-click the Start menu (Windows logo) at the bottom-left corner of the desktop.
- Select the Disk Management tab from the pop-up menu to launch Disk Management.
- Your new drive will show up as unallocated. Give a right-click on it and select the New Simple Volume option.
- Click on Next in the pop-up window to begin the drive format and partition.
- On the Assign Drive Letter or Path screen, specify a drive letter for your Seagate Barracuda Q1 240GB Solid State Drive.
- On the Format Partition screen, select a file format from the File System drop-down menu.
- Click the Next button and select Finish.
- Close Disk Management and install Seagate’s DiscWizard to back up your files.
- You can also use SeaTools to monitor the drive performance.
- You have now seen the Seagate Expansion Portable 500GB USB 3.0 Hard Drive Setup.
For remote assistance, contact our technical support team by clicking the Call button on this page.