- Seagate Support »
- Seagate Expansion Portable 4 TB Setup
Seagate Expansion Portable 4 TB Setup
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Backup Plus 3TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Backup Plus 3TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- How to find out the backup files on Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive?
- Eject Backup Plus 3TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Backup Plus 3TB
The Seagate Expansion Portable 4TB drive provides additional storage for your system. You can instantly add space, consolidate files to a location, or free up space on your computer. The Seagate drives are well-known for their performance and reliability. Compared to other drives, the Seagate Expansion Portable drive offers faster and easier file storage. It is ready to use on a Windows computer as it doesn’t require any formatting. For detailed instructions about the Seagate Expansion Portable 4TB setup, follow these steps.
- To begin with, unpack your Seagate drive from the package.
- Turn on your Windows computer and log in to the administrator account.
- Connect one end of the supplied USB cable to the USB port of your Seagate drive.
- Make sure to connect the other end to any one of your computer’s USB ports.
- Now, your Windows will show the New device found message.
- You can check if your drive has been recognized or not from the File Explorer.
- In case you wish to back up your data to the Seagate Expansion portable drive, continue reading the steps given in the next section.
Setting up a backup on Windows
- To begin with, click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Click on System and Maintenance –> Backup and Restore.
- Select the Set up backup option or click the Create new, full backup option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in the wizard to back up your data.
Creating a system image
- On your Windows computer, right-click the Start menu available at the bottom-left corner and select Control Panel.
- Select System and Maintenance in the Control Panel window and choose the Backup and Restore option.
Copying and pasting your files to the drive
- Open File Explorer and choose the files you wish to copy from the Documents or Downloads folder.
- Right-click the file and select the Copy option.
- Next, double-click My Computer/This PC.
- Open the Seagate Expansion Portable drive (4TB) and press the Ctrl + V shortcut keys to paste your files into the drive folder.
Formatting the drive on Mac
Although the Seagate Expansion drive is ready to use on a Windows computer, you need to format the drive in order to access it on a Mac computer. The steps to format the Expansion drive on your Mac are as follows:
- On your Mac, open Finder and select Applications –> Utilities –> Disk Utility.
- In the Disk Utility window, select the Show All Devices option from the top-left corner of the screen.
- Select your Seagate drive from the left-side panel and click the Erase button.
- In the pop-up dialog box, give a name for the disk volume and select the exFAT option from the Format drop-down menu.
- Choose GUID Partition Map from the Scheme pull-down menu and click the Erase button.
- Now, Disk Utility will start formatting your Seagate drive.
- Once you have done formatting the drive, click Done and close the Disk Utility window.
Copying and pasting the files from your Mac to the Seagate drive
- On your Mac, select the item you wish to copy.
- Press and hold down the Command + C shortcut keys.
- Now, go to the Seagate Expansion Portable drive and paste the file to your desired folder by pressing Command + V.