- Seagate Support »
- SEAGATE EXPANSION PORTABLE 500GB HARD DRIVE SETUP
SEAGATE EXPANSION PORTABLE 320GB HARD DRIVE SETUP
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Backup Plus 3TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Backup Plus 3TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- How to find out the backup files on Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive?
- Eject Backup Plus 3TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Backup Plus 3TB
The older version of the Seagate Expansion portable hard drive has been used by many people over the past years. The new version is a plain black plastic box that has a checkerboard pattern on its top. This new version is also lighter and slimmer when compared to the older one. This Seagate Expansion portable 320GB Hard Drive has read and write speeds of about 108MB per second.
Setting Up The Drive On Windows:
The Seagate External Hard Drive does not come with any sort of backup software. It is originally formatted for the Windows operating system. The tips for performing the Seagate Expansion portable 320GB hard drive setup on a Windows computer are provided in the next section.
On a Mac, the drive will be read-only. Therefore, you cannot copy or move any data to the Seagate Expansion drive. But if you intend to use the drive on a Mac, you will have to reformat it.
On a Windows computer, there’s no need to do anything special to make the Seagate Expansion drive work. You simply have to plug it into the power followed by plugging in the USB cable. Now, you can see that the drive pops up in This PC/My Computer and File Explorer/Windows Explorer.
If you wish to move data to the drive (in Windows), you can make use of two different methods:
- The drag and drop method
- The copy and paste method
However, if you want an automatic backup, you have to use some special utility that has been built into Windows for the purpose.
Several people purchase the Seagate Expansion portable 320GB Hard Drive so that they can harvest the SATA drive inside the case and then use it as an internal drive on a laptop or any other compatible device.
Opening The Seagate Expansion Portable Drive:
To open the drive, follow the steps given below
- Use a plastic opening tool and run it around the edge. You need to run this tool in the gap between the top and the bottom of the casing. This step is essential to release the catches.
- You can now lift the top part of the drive and continue with the steps to perform the Seagate Expansion portable 320GB hard drive setup.
- When you have taken off the top of the drive case, you just have to peel off the metal shielding.
- Under the metal shielding, you will find the drive. This one is a Standard SATA Drive.
- You will find that the drive is not screwed into the case. So, you can just lift it. You can now remove the SATA to USB Bridge PCB.
- The drive is Now Ready. You can use it inside your laptop or any other compatible device.
You have now seen how to perform the Seagate Expansion Portable 320 GB Hard Drive setup and also learned how to use the drive on Windows.