- Seagate Support »
- SEAGATE BASIC PORTABLE DRIVE SETUP
SEAGATE BASIC PORTABLE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE SETUP
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Backup Plus 3TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Backup Plus 3TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- How to find out the backup files on Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive?
- Eject Backup Plus 3TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Backup Plus 3TB
Seagate Basic is a compact and uniquely designed portable hard drive. It comes in varied storage capacities: 1TB, 2TB, 4TB, and 5TB. The setup process is quite simple, and you can easily connect the drive to a computer with the help of the USB 3.0 cable provided with it. The USB cable also powers the driver, so there is no need for any external power supply. We’ll discuss how to set up the Seagate Basic Portable External Hard Drive on a computer (Windows/Mac) on this page.
What’s in the box:
- Seagate Basic external portable drive.
- USB 3.0 cable.
- Quick Start Guide.
- Open the box and take the Seagate Basic Portable Drive out of the box.
- Now take the other box content out of the box.
- Check if there are any damages on the external hard.
- Place the external hard drive near the Windows computer.
- Now connect an end of the USB cable to the portable hard drive USB port and the other end to the computer USB port.
- Make sure the connection is tight and secure.
- The USB cable supplies power to the portable drive, and the drive automatically powers up.
- Now you can see the Seagate Basic portable hard drive in the My Computer window.
How to partition the hard drive using Seagate DiscWizard:
- Download the DiscWizard App from the Seagate official website.
- Once the download is complete, run the downloaded .exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Open the DiscWizard app, then scroll down and locate Disk Management.
- Under the Disk Management option, click Seagate External Capacity Manager.
- A new dialog box opens, and you can see the graphical representation of the Windows Native Capacity and unallocated memory of your Seagate Basic portable hard drive.
- Now click Apply; once the process is complete, click Close.
- Under the Disk Management option, click Add new disk.
- In the Disk Wizard, select the Seagate Drive and click Next.
- Select an initialization method and click Next
- Now double-click on the unallocated gray bar.
- The Partition Settings wizard appears. You can use the drop-down boxes or slider boxes to create a partition.
- Click the File system drop-down box and click NTFS.
- Select any letter under the Partition letter drop-down box.
- Enter the name of the drive in the Partition Label tab and click Accept.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions to complete the disk partition.
- Click Proceed; the wizard begins the partition process.
- Once the partition is complete, click OK on the prompt message.
Check Disk Partition:
Click the Windows Start button > Disk Partition and check if the partition is done correctly. Finally, the Seagate Basic External Hard Drive Setup is completed successfully.