- Seagate Support »
- Seagate Basic Portable Drive 1TB Setup
Seagate Basic Portable Drive 5TB Setup
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Backup Plus 3TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Backup Plus 3TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- How to find out the backup files on Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive?
- Eject Backup Plus 3TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Backup Plus 3TB
The Seagate Basic Portable Drive 5TB Setup is a device that can help increase the storage space on your computer. It is a simple and reliable backup drive. It allows you to take along your large files while traveling (that is why it is called a “portable” drive). Another key feature of the drive is the USB 3.0 transfer.
So, if you want additional on-the-go storage, the Seagate external hard drive will be your perfect choice. This storage device comes in capacities of 1, 2, 4, and 5 TBs.
The Seagate Basic Portable drive is easy to set up and use. Let’s now look into the setup instructions for the 5TB drive and learn how to use it.
Unboxing the drive:
- Remove the cover from the box that contains the drive.
- Once you have the box in your hands, open it and check if all these components are present inside:
- The Seagate drive
- USB cable
- The Quick Start Guide
Connecting the drive to your computer user and using it:
- Only if you find the “For Mac” label on the front of the box, you can utilize the drive on a Mac computer. Otherwise, the Seagate drive is meant to be used on a Windows computer only. So, if you are using a Windows computer, you do not have to do anything special to make your Seagate drive function.
- Just plug in the power. Connect the USB cable between the Seagate Basic Portable drive and a USB port on your computer. If you wish to maximize the drive’s performance, connect it to a USB 3.0 port on the computer. (You can also make use of the USB 2.0 port).
- The drive should now pop up under My Computer/This PC and Windows Explorer/File Explorer.
In order to create a backup of the files on your computer, you can use one of the following methods:
- Copy and Paste
- Drag and Drop
As mentioned earlier, if you find the “For Mac” label on the front of the box, you can use the Seagate drive on your Mac computer. Or else, you have to reformat the drive before using it because the drive will be read-only on a Mac. This means that you cannot copy or move any data to the drive.
The formatting instructions will vary based on the version of Mac you are using.
Once the Seagate Basic Portable 5TB drive is formatted, follow the instructions given below to use the drive on your Mac:
- Connect the drive to your Mac.(Keep in mind that you need to plug the drive into a power supply).
- The drive will now be detected by your Mac.
- Now, you can manually move the files from your Mac to the drive or set it up with the Time Machine automatic backup.
- If you have decided to move the data manually to the drive, the Copy and Paste method will be the best option.
Disconnecting the drive from your computer:
You always have to follow the safe removal procedures for your operating system while disconnecting the Seagate drive from your computer. This precautionary measure is essential to protect all your valuable data. You have now successfully finished the Seagate Basic Portable 5TB Drive Setup. You have also learned how to use the drive on your computer based on its OS.