- Seagate Support »
- Install Seagate Hard drive
How to install SATA Hard drive on your computer?
- Connecting an external hard drive is not a difficult task at all. In fact, these SATA hard drives are designed especially for easy seagate hard drive installation. This document provides yoseagate hard drive installationu the detailed steps for install seagate hard drive the fast moving and high performance Seagate External Hard Drives viz., Barracuda, Ironwolf and Skyhawk.
- The data storage capacity of all the above hard drives may vary but supports high usage.
- Before you read the steps, it is important that you know the benefits of using this Serial ATA hard drive in your computer.
- The Serial ATA hard drive is structured in such a way that the cable attached to it gets connected to a SATA host adapter or SATA port on your computer’s mother board. Serial ATA hard drives can subsequently be used along with the Parallel ATA drives if supported by the mother board of your computer. Parallel ATA acts as a standard interface for connecting the storage devices such as hard disk drives, floppy disk drives etc.
What you need
For configuring any technical hardware on your computer, it is important that you have the required items ready.
- A screwdriver of Philips brand and 6-32 UNC drive mounting screws of 4 numbers.
- A SATA interface cable of maximum 1m length. If you purchase the drive as a retail kit, then the spare cable is available separately in the stores for sale.
- A power cable or adapter that is compatible with the SATA hard drive.
- A Windows with NTFS file system.
- A computer that allows a SATA connector or a SATA host adapter to the mother board and an active PCI slot to install the adapter.
Must followed precautions while handling the disc drives
- Hold the SATA hard drives only by edges and follow how to install SATA hard drive on your computer.
- Place the drive only in an air tight container or box that does not allow the item in the box to move until you are good to go with the how to install SATA hard drive.
- It is advisable to wear a safety wrist strap or cover and a cable connected to the ground at the time of install seagate hard drive, as the drives are sensitive to static electricity.
- Switch off the system to which the drive is being installed and do not take the components of the drive apart as it may ruin your device warranty.
Steps showing how to connect cables and install seagate hard drive
Attaching cable and mounting the drive
- Link one end of the hard drive’s cable to the SATA interface connector on the mother board of your computer or to the host adapter.
- Join the power cables and the interface to the SATA drive.
- Safeguard the drive with the help of four 6-32 UNC mounting screws in either the lateral or bottom mounting holes.
- Insert the 0.20 inches screw into the bottom-mounting and the 0.14inches into the lateral-mounting holes.Do not over-tighten the screws as it may damage the drive.
Configuring the BIOS:
This process is required for the computer to detect the drive if it does not happen automatically.
- Reboot your computer if it is turned on already.
- Run the system setup program while the computer restarts.
- You can use special keys such as DELETE, ESC, or F1 at the time of the start-up process.
- Update the system with the instructions to auto detect your new SATA drive during install seagate hard drive inside the system setup program.
- Check if your computer is able to detect the drive when it restarts. If it remains unrecognized, then we recommend you to contact our customer support.
Format Hard drive
Steps to do drive partition and format your hard drive
Follow these steps to setup a hard drive by executing the partition with the help of Disk Management
- Create a shortcut to open the Power User menu using your keyboard with Windows key + X and choose Disk Management.
- Choose Initialize Disk when you right click on the drive that is marked as Unknown or Not initialized.
- Opt for one of the partition styles as mentioned below:
- If you have a seagate hard drive(install seagate hard drive) less than 2TB in size, then choose MBR (Master Boot Record).
- If you have a hard drive greater than 2TB, then choose GPD (GUID Partition Table).
This completes the install seagate hard drive partition and your SATA drive is ready to use by following how to install SATA hard drive on your computer.