- Seagate Support »
- Fix Seagate Hard Drive Failure
How Do I Fix Seagate Hard Drive Failure
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Backup Plus 3TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Backup Plus 3TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- How to find out the backup files on Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive?
- Eject Backup Plus 3TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Backup Plus 3TB
Seagate hard drives are one of those amazing Seagate Desktop External Hard Drive devices. The Seagate hard drives are suited for both Mac and Windows computers. Over a period of usage, but only on a rare occasion, you will come across the Seagate hard drive failure problem. There can be many reasons behind the issue, but worry not. We have the best troubleshooting methods to Fix Seagate Hard Drive Failure in no time.
Here are some causes that might lead to the Seagate hard drive failure.
- Problem with the USB port on computer or laptop
- Physical damage to the drive
- Incompatibility due to recent OS upgrade
- Connection issues / Faulty interface cable
- Outdated hard drive firmware
- Virus infection on the drive
Here are some basic troubleshooting steps to look at to fix the Seagate hard drive failure.
- Unplug the drive and connect it to a different USB port to see if the light shows up on the device.
- Notice if the Seagate hard drive beeps or vibrates when https://backup-plus.com/how-do-i-fix-seagate-hard-drive-failure/connected to the computer or the laptop.
If the above-mentioned steps do not help in Fix Seagate Hard Drive Failure, you can very well proceed to the methods given below. We have given the steps for both the Windows and Mac Operating systems to help users looking for a solution.
FIX 1: UPDATE THE USB CONTROLLER
- Open the Run command on computer (Windows + R).
- Type devmgmt.msc in the Open field and press Enter button.
- The Device Manager window will open.
- Scroll down the window to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers (USB) section and click on the arrow button on the left side.
- See if any of the USB controllers are showing a Yellow icon.
- If you find any, do a right-click on that particular driver entry and select the Update Driver option.
- When the pop-up window opens, click the Search Automatically option.
- Wait for the update to get over.
FIX 2: ENABLE USB IN BIOS SETTINGS
- Restart Widows device.
- When the device boots, keep pressing the key displayed on the screen to open the BIOS settings utility.
- Use the arrow keys on keyboard to scroll through the BIOS settings.
- Choose Boot tab and select Removable devices option.
- Once the Boot is complete, save the changes.
- Restart the computer.
FIX 3: CLEAR THE DUST
- There are times when there is a lot of dust in the USB port you are using that will eventually lead to the problem (Seagate hard drive failure).
- Disconnect the external device from the computer.
- Unplug the cable from the Seagate device.
- Blow air into the ports of the computer, the cable, and also the hard drive.
- Doing so will remove all the accumulated dust inside the port.
- Reconnect the cable to the drive and connect it to the computer to see if it works.
FIX 1: ENABLE HARD DRIVE IN FINDER
- Click Finder icon on the screen on Mac computer.
- Select Preferences option and then select Sidebar.
- Scroll to Location section, click the checkbox for External disks option.
- Select General tab.
- Right under Show these items on the desktop, click the checkbox for External disks option.
FIX 2: REPAIR HARD DRIVE WITH FIRST AID
- Click Launchpad icon in the dock section.
- Click Other option.
FIX 3: FORMAT THE HARD DRIVE
If the Seagate hard drive partially shows up but does not open the content on it, you have to risk and perform a format on the hard drive.
- Click Finder icon.
- Select the following options Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
- On the left section, select Seagate hard drive.
- Click Erase button.
- The format will now take place.
- Click the Done button once the format is complete a Fix Seagate Hard Drive Failure.