- Seagate Support »
- Seagate External Hard Drive Not Recognized Error
Fix Seagate External Hard Drive Can Not Recognized Error
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Backup Plus 3TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Backup Plus 3TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- How to find out the backup files on Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive?
- Eject Backup Plus 3TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Backup Plus 3TB
Generally, this Seagate external hard drive not recognized error occurs due to many reasons. Initially, make sure that your Seagate drive is connected securely to your computer. If the USB cable that you’re using for the connection is damaged, then replace it with a new one. Similarly, try to connect the cable to a different USB port on your computer. Check if your computer’s OS is supported by the drive. If not, try connecting the drive to a different computer.
The ‘Seagate hard drive not recognized’ error also occurs if your drive’s software is incompatible with your computer’s OS. In this case, check for the OS update. If available, perform the update and then connect the Seagate external hard drive to your computer.
Scroll down this page to know the advanced troubleshooting solutions that will help you to fix the ‘Seagate external hard drive not recognized’ error on your Windows or Mac computer.
Generally, the external hard drive that is connected to your Windows computer will be displayed on the Device Manager and Disk Management screens even if they are not displayed in the Hard drives window. So, look for your Seagate drive in the Device Manager and Disk Management windows.
- Open the Device Manager window.
- Expand the Disk Drives section and look for the Seagate drive.
- If your drive is displayed, then go to the Disk Drives section and right-click on it.
- Choose Properties > Volumes > Populate.
- Perform the on-screen instructions to resolve this Seagate external hard drive not recognized error.
If your Seagate external drive is named as RAW or Unallocated, then you need to reformat the drive to unhide it.
- In case your Seagate drive is not displayed in the Disk Drives section, then check if any error code is displayed in the drive’s Device Status.
- To open the Device Status window, look for the entries like other device or mass storage device in the Device Manager window.
- Expand the USB section.
- Highlight unknown devices or other devices and right-click it.
- From the context menu, choose the Properties option and navigate to the Device Status tab.
- Now, check if any error code is displayed. If yes, clear it with the help of our technical experts.
- After clearing the error code, check if the Seagate external hard drive not recognized error is resolved.
Steps To Fix The Seagate External Hard Drive Error On Mac
- Look for your drive in the Disk Utility window.
- Go to the System Information section of your Mac computer if the drive is not displayed in the Disk Utility window.
- To open System Information, hold down the Option button on your Mac computer’s keyboard and click on the Apple icon.
- Now, the System Information window will open.
- Locate the Hardware option and choose the interface that you’re using from the list of suggestions.
- Click on your drive to view the drive’s information.
- Reboot your Mac computer in Safe mode if required.
Click Call to contact our technical experts in fixing the Seagate external hard drive not recognized error.